Friday 8 March 2013

Inspiration: Calligraphy


Aaaaah - the weekend is finally here!  It has been a long week, and I am looking forward to relaxing over the next few days. 

I love this time of year.  The light is returning, the weather WILL warm up (I am optimistic!), and I am inspired to try new things.  This weekend, for the first time in ages, I am going to practice my calligraphy skills.  I was that kid in school who wrote c-o-n-s-t-a-n-t-l-y in class... and I am not referring to academic note-taking.  I was always writing my name, my address, different words... just to play and see how lovely I could make them look.  Curly letter 'A's' and fancy letter 'Z's, it didn't matter, I just had to write. I adored calligraphy - I got my first set of pens and inks when I was 13 years old - though, for whatever reason, my set ended up in the back of a drawer.

Not anymore!  I am challenging myself to work at it again this weekend!  I grabbed a calligraphy practice pad and some ink on Thursday and I am excited to play with things.  Its a little scary since I have put it out there now - to the universe - that I am going write again, and I vow to show you my results on Monday; the good, the bad and the ugly. 


 
The Calligraphy Bible: A Complete Guide to More Than 100 Essential Projects and Techniques, edited by Maryanne Grebenstein.  And some 'Winsor Yellow' calligraphy ink from Winsor & Newton.  I love these Renaissance letters!

 
Strathmore Parchment Paper Pad, random calligraphy nibs, Learn Calligraphy: The Complete Book of Lettering and Design by  Margaret Shepherd, and the Calligraphy Bible.
 
 
A selection of Winsor & Newton calligraphy inks.

 
More ink!

 
Set up at home and ready to go!
 
 
Happy Weekend everyone!  Tune in Monday to see the results!


No comments:

Post a Comment